Colorado Springs skyline as part of Accessible System's Grant and Funding Resources page

Colorado Springs Grants and Funding Programs

Nathan Colburn Funding

There are numerous funding source options available for those who need assistance covering the cost of home modifications in the Colorado Springs, CO area. These Southern Colorado agencies want families to stay in their home and remain in their community; they will help people do so by making homes safer and more accessible by removing barriers. Local communities have resources available for home improvements, you just have to ask! Here’s what to do:

  1. Get estimates from 2-3 contractors for the work you’d like done.
  2. Fill out application for funding and attach supporting documentation:  Estimates, letter explaining the need and circumstances and photos if possible.
  3. Contact the agencies below and ask if there is funding available.
  4. Submit your request.
  5. Contractor will be selected and notified in writing of approved funding.
  6. Project is scheduled, work can begin or installs scheduled/completed.

Community Home Improvement Funding Resources

Colorado Springs Housing Rehabilitation Program
30 S Nevada Ave.
Suite 604
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
[email protected]

The Independence Center:
729 S Tejon St
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
[email protected]

Pikes Peak Habitat for Humanity:
2802 N Prospect St
Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Prairie Development Corporation: Cheyenne, Elbert, Kit Carson and Lincoln County
128 Colorado Ave.
Box 202
Stratton, CO 80836
[email protected]

Upper Arkansas Area Agency on Aging: Chaffee, Fremont, Custer and Lake County
3224 Independence Rd.
Cañon City, CO 81212
[email protected]

USDA Rural Housing:
PO Box 25426
Room E-2300
Denver, CO 80225
[email protected]

Pueblo Area Agency on Aging
230 N Union Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81003

Pueblo Community Development Block Grant Program
2631 E 4th St.
Pueblo, CO 81001
[email protected]

AV Hunter Trust
650 S Cherry St # 535, Denver, CO 80246
Friends of Man
5594 S Prince St, Littleton, CO 80120

Tricare/ECHO- Beneficiaries eligible for up to $36,000 per year for durable equipment. Covers: ramps, ceiling lifts, portable patient lifts, hospital beds, sensory swings, vertical platform/wheelchair lifts, home elevators, inclined platform lifts, stairlifts, handrails and more. Does not cover: structural changes within the home.

Options for Medicaid Recipients

The Medicaid process can be very lengthy but has numerous options for home modifications. Here are the steps you’ll need to follow to get home modifications through Medicaid, now referred to as Health First Colorado.

  1. Contact your Medicaid case manager and ask to get on one of the Home Modification Waivers
  2. Your case manager (CM) will add the waiver to your Medicaid plan and request an in-home occupational therapy (OT) assessment of needs
  3. The OT evaluation will take place and a report is generated stating which products or modifications are recommended
  4. Your CM will send the OT evaluation and report to 2-3 Medicaid approved general contractors
  5. You will meet with 2-3 contractors in your home to collect competitive bids, which will be submitted to the CM for review. A “Dummy PAR” (pre-approval, written notice of contractor selection) is issued
  6. One bid is selected and sent off to the State for final approval. Typically this will be the lowest bid unless you express your preference to one contractor over another. Official PAR is issued
  7. The contractor can then begin the work. All jobs must be completed within 60 days of the PAR being issued.

Rocky Mountain Options for Long Term Care
1645 S Murray Blvd.
Colorado Springs, CO 80916

The Resource Exchange
418 S Weber St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903

Pueblo County/Housing and Human Services
2631 E 4th St.
Pueblo, CO 81001

Pueblo County/Social Services
201 W 8th St.
Pueblo, CO 81003

Blue Sky Enterprises
115 W 2nd St
Pueblo, CO 81003

Options for Veterans

Visit our Veterans Affairs Funding Programs resource.

HISA- Minor to moderate structural modifications for disabled veterans, up to $6,800. Covers: door widening, standard bathroom remodel, handrails, wooden or concrete ramps. Does not cover: durable medical equipment installed into the home. Contact:  Alex Forehead; 303.283.5376; [email protected]

Prosthetics- Covers modular ramps, grab bars and stairlifts for disabled veterans. No capitation on funding, just whatever equipment is determined necessary by the VA. Does not cover: structural changes or modifications to the home. Contact: Alex Forehead; 303.283.5376; [email protected]

SAH- Structural remodeling for disabled veterans, up to $85,000. Covers: bathroom and kitchen remodeling, patio and deck renovations, door widening and replacements, wooden, concrete or modular ramp systems, patient lift and transfer systems, wheelchair lifts.  Does not cover: anything potentially/potentially being funded by another department within the VA. Contact: Chad Perry; 303.914.2994; [email protected]