Funding 3 way 0 |

Nationwide Funding & Insurance Resources

Nathan Colburn Funding

NATIONAL FUNDING RESOURCES for Home Modifications and Assistive Technology (AT)

Denver Area Grant and Funding Options | Colorado Springs Grant and Funding Options

VA Funding Programs: 

VA provides grants to Service members and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability.  Two grant programs exist:  the Specialty Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant.

(SAH) Speciality Adapted Housing

SAH grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live independently in a barrier-free environment. SAH grants can be used in one of the following ways:

  • Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired
  • Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing
  • Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing
  • Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant

(HISA) Home Improvement and Structural Alterations –

This grant provides medically necessary improvements and structural alterations to Veterans/Servicemembers’ primary residence for the following purposes:

  • Allowing entrance to or exit from their homes
  • Use of essential lavatory and sanitary facilities (e.g. roll in showers or walk in tubs)
  • Allowing accessibility to kitchen or bathroom sinks or counters (e.g. lowering counters/sinks)
  • Improving entrance paths or driveways in immediate area of the home to facilitate access to the home through construction of permanent ramping
  • Improving plumbing or electrical systems made necessary due to installation of home medical equipment

HISA Grants help Veterans with improvements to their home including, Ramps and Doorways entrance to or exit from their homes, door widening, roll in showers or walk in tubs, lowering counters/sinks, improving entrance paths or driveways, improving plumbing or electrical systems made necessary due to installation of home medical equipment.  HISA provides $2000 to $6800 depending on if your disability is service connected.  Click Here for 

How to Apply

To apply for a grant, fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555, Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant. You can access this form by:

  • Applying online via
  • Downloading VA Form 26-4555, Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant and mailing it to your nearest Regional Loan Center
  • Calling VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you
  • Visiting the nearest VA regional office. Find the office nearest you by visiting VA Regional Office Locations or calling VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000

Need more information or have questions? Contact a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) staff member via email at [email protected] or by phone at (877) 827-3702.

Colorado Medicaid Funding Programs:

Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) is a Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS) and Supported Living Services (SLS) are home modification waivers under Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid Program). This benefit that allows for specific modifications, adaptations, or improvements in an eligible client’s existing home setting.

Eligibility for home modifications are based on the member’s medical condition and additional requirements.

Long Term Services and Support Waiver (LTSS)

Supported Living Services Waiver (SLS)

To learn more about your eligibility and the process to receive HCBS through medicaid contact your Community Centered Board or Single Entry Point in your area.

Community Centered Board Locator

Single Entry Point Locator