Use this guide to help troubleshoot and repair your Bruno stair lift. This guide is skewed for the Bruno Elan and Bruno Elite stair lifts models. Troubleshooting a stair lift from any other brand or manufacturer may vary by make and model.
Is the beeping truly coming from your Bruno stair lift?
You’d be surprised how many times we go out on service calls to address beeping Bruno Elan or Bruno Elite stair lifts, only to find that it’s time to replace the batteries in the smoke alarm or CO2 detector, or identify the source as the microwave or another appliance.
How many beeps is the Bruno stair lift making and how often is this occurring?
- Single beep = check seat swivel, armrests and footrest and any obstructions
- Continuous beep = unit is not charging (either not fully on the charging station or the charger has come unplugged)
What does the flashing alpha/numeric code displayed on your Bruno stair lift unit mean?
- Please note that the codes will change and flash as the Bruno chair lift is self-checking and displaying status codes during normal operations.
- If the same code is flashing repeatedly, that is indicative if a diagnostic fault or problem with the lift. Please refer to the chart below. Some codes might not be displayed on this chart, however the list below contains the most common fault codes. When requesting service to your Bruno chair, mention these fault codes to help with troubleshooting.
- A2: Seat in UP position (seat fold switch closed)
- A3: Seat out of riding position (swivel limit open)
- A7: Seat or footrest jammed (actuator stalled)
- C1: Charging
- C2: Off charge (running)
- C4: Parked and charger not detected
- C5: Battery voltage critical (charge immediately)
- C6: Battery voltage low
- L1: Seat safety switch open
- L2: Up limit switch open
- L3: Down limit switch open
- L6: Mid-rail park active
- L8: Soft stop switch
When was your last service call or annual maintenance?
- Annual maintenance does actually mean every year, but we understand that time can pass and things get forgotten. If it’s been 3-4 years since your last service call, you’re probably due for some new batteries and a safety inspection of the unit.
- Annual maintenance is required on Bruno chair lifts in order to uphold the Gold Star Warranty; this warranty covers all additional parts for 2 years and all drive-train components for 5 years from date of purchase.
Is the lift Bruno stairlift plugged in?
Again, we are happy to come out and assess the situation- but the service fee can seem a bit ridiculous for something as simple as fixing a lift that accidentally was unplugged.
Are the status indicator lights ON on the transformer/charger? Was there a power outage recently?
You must first identify the model Bruno stairlift that you have. Elan and Elite are the most common. Look around the chair for the Bruno label. For Elite models, there should always be at least two lights displayed on your Elite stairlift charger to indicate normal operations:
- Red= power on
- Red and yellow = battery is charging
- Red and green = battery is fully charged
Bruno Elan stairlifts will only have one light (see chart below).
Are the Bruno chair armrests and footrest all in the downward and locked position?
Fold the chair, footrest and armrests up and then put everything back down again, just to make sure.
Is the swivel seat locked firmly into place and facing straight ahead?
Wiggle the stairlift from side to side until you hear it click into place.
Have any and all obstructions been removed from near the Bruno stairlift carriage and rail?
Little plastic green army men, Legos, table cloths and MardiGras beads are just a few of the items that we have removed from our equipment to get it working again.
What if it’s after hours?
If it is after hours (evening, weekend or holiday) and you just want the beeping to stop, please locate the power switch on the stairlift unit itself and turn it off. It is not necessary to unplug the stairlift. Most companies that repair Bruno stair lifts repair and maintenance only schedule repairs during normal business hours.